About Us

Landon Middle School was opened in August of 1963 as a junior high school. The school was made up of 250 7th, 8th, and 9th grade students. They named the school after a well-known political figure and Republican nominee for the U.S. presidency in 1936, Alfred M. Landon. The school's population consisted of students from the recently closed down Capper, Roosevelt, and Boswell Junior High Schools. These students decided to adopt the Lancer as their mascot and red and grey as their school colors. As enrollment grew in the mid 1970's, six new additions to the building were added. One of these was the addition of the media center and science complex built on the east front side of the building.

In 1985, Landon was closed due to low enrollment and district budget restraints. In 1987 the district began to restructure the elementary and secondary schools. Over the next five years, elementary school included grades K-5 and middle school became 6-8th grade.

In 1990-91 Landon was re-opened, with grades 6, 7, and 8. Since the first opening of Landon in 1963, the school has had twelve principals. Landon's current principal is David Boggs.